Friday, May 8, 2009

This one's for the girls.

I have been working on this post (in my head) for a long time, and am finally going to get it down in writing, in honor of Mother's Day this Sunday.

NOTE: I will write a post about the men I love on Father's Day, but they are not mentioned here- not because I don't love them but because this one is for the girls!!

I have been extremely blessed with strong, smart, nurturing women in my life since the day I was born. There is a long list, so I will go about this chronologically.

My Mother:

She is the most patient, loving, hard-working, positive woman I have ever known. She raised my sisters and me by herself and did not waste time blaming or complaining. She loves unconditionally and forgives unequivocally. She gives with no expectation of getting anything back in return. She talks the talk and walks the walk. She has always tried to understand my point of view which I know was especially trying in my weirdo teenage years (and still is at times). I don't know what I would have done the last year without her help with the babies on the weeks when Brian has to work late. I cherish those times. Words can not explain how grateful I am for and to my mother, but I do like this quote-

"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts." ~Washington Irving


My two sisters:

I am the baby. I didn't always see it when I was younger. "Stop telling me everything that will happen and what to do and let me live my own life and make my own mistakes", I would say. Oh how grateful I am now that I have their experience and advice to learn from. They were my teachers, my protectors, my shoulders to cry on. They are a place to go where I fear no judgement. My counselors, my confidants. They have seen me at my worst and best. Shared in my darkest and brightest moments. I wish we could talk and see each other more, but with eight kids between the three of us, life is busy and before we know it every month our calendars are full. No one will ever know me like my sisters, and I don't think anyone knows them like I do. We are each so different, but inside we share our own perceptions of the same childhood experiences, good and bad. "I could never love anyone as I love my sisters!" (Little Women).


My mother-in-law:

I am so thankful for my mother-in-law. She helped raise my husband to be the honorable man he is today and for that I am truly grateful. She is loving, truly genuine, strong, hard working and persevering (and a good cook!). She accepts me as part of the family and I love her for that.

My sisters-in-law:

I have three wonderful sisters-in-law, all of whom have welcomed me into the family from day one. I see and know my husband better through their eyes, through their hi-larious childhood stories. They shed light on why he is they way he is. We have the best talks, and I can joke around and I feel free to be myself. I am so glad to have the relationship I have with each one of them.

Last but not least, my daughter:

I always dreamed that I would have a little girl and I knew exactly what she would look like. I pictured a beautiful little girl with dark dark brown hair and green eyes (I pictured her looking exactly like Brian and she does!). I even knew what her name would be- that was my Lilly Kate. When I was pregnant the doctor saw cysts in her brain which is one "marker" for a genetic disorder that is incompatible with life. I was devastated, "not my little girl". Thank God the cysts went away as they often do, but even in the womb I thought of her as more delicate, more fragile than Nate. She is her daddy through and through, and she is anything but fragile. She is independent and serious, tough as nails. Her smile and laughter are absolutely contagious. I want to be someone she is proud of, someone she can depend on always. She has taught me so many valuable lessons already. She makes me want to be better for her (and of course for Nate too)!

See? I told you I was lucky!! I love all of you so much.

"My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune." ~Graycie Harmon

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Naomi said...

This brought tears to my eyes...so sweet. You are so blessed! Happy Mother's Day :)

Lindsay said...

Linds,
I hope you have a wonderful first Mother's Day with your sweet babies. I know how very special this day will be to you.

Your post was so sweet, I know all those ladies feel blessed to have you in their lives too!

Love ya!

CJ said...

I found your blog through Adriene, The Cook Twins. My twins were born at 35 weeks also. Can I follow you?