To all people with young kids who know everything about parenting, and to all people without kids who know everything about everything, LISTEN UP..
Advice can be very helpful, when asked for. I am not too proud to ask for advice. I realize that I have a lot to learn from other mothers. If I feel like something I'm doing isn't quite working (which happens a lot), or I'm wondering if how I feel about something is normal, I seek information from other people who may be going through the same thing.. to make me feel BETTER (better being the key word here).
Opinions are not helpful, when telling someone that how they are parenting is not correct or not how you would do it. NOT. HELPFUL. If you are a mother, you should know that we question every little thing we do. Is this the right thing? Should I be doing something differently? Should I let go a little? Should I hold on tighter? Day care? Stay at home? Ignore? Attention? Nature? Nurture? The list goes ON AND ON AND ON. So, my question is, if you know this and if you have had these insecure or guilty feelings that come with being a mom, why would you make another mom feel bad about the way she has chosen to parent? Maybe you don't know her reasons.
Ok, maybe you don't know MY reasons. Maybe I don't even even know my reasons, but I don't want opinions that make me feel like a bad mom while I am trying to figure it out. And if you didn't have TWO kids at the same time, then please don't tell me that I am doing something wrong, because you just don't know what it is like. I am not saying that what I deal with on a day to day basis is any more difficult than anyone else- I am NOT saying that. Just DIFFERENT.
I know there are people who think I am too restrictive, too routine, too attached and some on the other hand, who think I am too lenient, to relaxed, too detached. I understand they have their opinions based on their experiences, their kids, their basic opinion of me, etc. But the fact is that I prayed for kids for almost four years and the blessing that Nate and Lilly are is not lost on me. I know that even in a mountian of stress, there is always joy where my kids are concerned. I pray every day that I am making the right decisions, and that even when I make the wrong ones, they will always know and feel that they were absolutely the most important and best thing that ever happened to me. Which is, I think, why it hurts when anyone questions my (our) parenting decisions.
I am learning a lot, and one thing I have learned is that every child, every parent and every day is DIFFERENT. Just when you think you have it all figured out, the whole game changes and you have to adjust. I will always be here for my friends/family who have kids and find themselves questioning decisions like I have. But I have learned that I should never make any of them feel like they are not doing it right, or give them a hard time about it. Because they are doing the best they know how to do for their children.
I know I am just venting. But if you know a mother who you think is potty training too late or too early, or doesn't discipline the way you think she should, or doesn't feed them the food you would feed your child, think twice before you judge her. Her situation may be a lot different than yours and none of her decisions mean she loves her child any less than you do.
Sorry this was ALL OVER the place! This rant is not because of any one specific thing anyone has said to me, I have just been thinking about this for a while and finally had to let some of it out.
So please let's just support each other and help each other instead of judging, mmkay??
5 comments:
I could have written this myself. I can't tell you how many times at night I lay there and boil because of something somebody has said. I write it over and over in my head what I would like to say in my blog I just haven't had the guts to post it. The thing is I worry about hurting someone else's feelings at the expense of my own. I am learning to stand up for myself now and it has made all the difference in the world. Sometimes being a people pleaser has faults of its own.....
I have said in my blog a few times "If you don't have twins, you have no idea what it is like"
Well said!!
Great post!
Your babies are beautiful!
Perfect post! Thank you for saying what so many of us want to :) I personally think you're doing a fabulous job because you've got two THRIVING children. Kudos to you guys :)
Wonderful post! I so wish we moms would realize that we are all in this together, not be be competitive! I hope whoever needed to read this will stop and think about what they say. :-)
I can totally understand where you are coming from! Why is it that everyone must measure their own success at motherhood based on other people's successes or failures? Why can't we all realize that we are all different, and more importantly, our children are all different. What is "right" or "wrong" for one child might but just what another child needs. At the end of the day, all we can do as parents is our best, and what we should do as friends is be proud of every day that we survive as parents, because it is the hardest job we'll ever have, and the most important, and the most rewarding. Why can't we all just love our kids and love each other!? :)
Well anyway, I love you and I think you are an AMAZING mother. Try to ignore the nay-sayers and realize that many of us moms out there envy you and think you are doing an amazing job. You work a full time job in addition to the full time job you have of being Nate's Mommy and the other full time job you have of being Lilly's Mommy, and you do it all with a smile on your face and looking more gorgeous than ever! You are amazing, and I mean it!
Post a Comment